Mar 30 2012 by Andrew Burns, Dumfries Standard Friday
Oor coaches Director John Cuthbert.
DRIVERS across the region are backing our A75 upgrade campaign.
From bus companies to hauliers and taxi firms, the message is clear – something has to be done.
And several people were quick to get on board and show their support since we launched A75: Time to Act last week.
John Cuthbert, director of Oor Coaches in Annan, has been driving the notorious stretch of the A75 for more years than he cares to remember.
And while he believes the upgrades on the “terrible” road are essential, he insists that he has lost faith in those responsible for giving the green light. He said: “I drive the road near enough every day and we have 16 services a day going across that part of the road.
“We do around 150,000 kilometres on the A75 stretch every year, so we know fine well how bad it is.
“I would love to see these improvements being carried out as I think that it is a terrible bit of road, especially the awful bit at Hardgrove.
“But I hold no hope these days in the government – all they seem to do is let us down.
“We have seen some tragic accidents recently both in that section and in other areas and I also believe that the drivers need to wisen up too.”
Jim Niven, of TP Niven Transport and Storage, believes the road should have been upgraded a long time ago.
He said: “It is a terrible road and the Hardgrove to Kinmount stretch is extremely bad.
“You see some reckless driving on it sometimes and we are always hearing about accidents.
“It should be three lanes at least, not just at Hardgrove but all over, and it should have been done years ago.
“I am fully behind the campaign and I hope that something can be done to finally see these upgrades happen.”
Jim Hodgson, owner of MacLean’s Taxis in Annan, can’t understand why the A75 upgrades have been postponed twice.
“I have driven back and forward across the A75 nearly every day since 1988 and it has always been a bad road.
“I still drive it regularly and it is awful, especially the Hardgrove stretch.
“I find it quite unbelievable that this work has been planned and given the go-ahead but then cancelled twice.
“What is going to take for these upgrades to be carried out?
“Unfortunately there have been some really awful accidents recently, not just as Hardgrove but all over, and it is clear that something needs to be done.
“But we can’t forget the role that the drivers play here – it is up to those using the road to keep their speeds down and drive carefully.”
Please show your support by signing the petition online via this link:
Or copies of the petition can be downloaded by clicking below.